Thursday, February 02, 2006

No more film?

My sister's a professional photographer, arty type pictures. Not the "smile, say cheese" variety. Her portfolio has lots of black and white. She even has used a giant old fashioned camera with giant negatives. I'm just an ordinary photographer with an ordinary film camera. It's not an antique; I consider it new.

But according to the experts it's almost a dinosaur. I like my camera. I've sold gorgeous pictures I've taken with that camera. It's so easy to use, and I'm a real pro at changing film.

I'm starting to prepare myself for the unpleasant fact that my next camera will be a digital. I won't go into "Foto Nir" with the film in my hand, and he won't have my name written on the envelope before I get to the counter. It'll be different, very different. I'll probably go in with a disk and tell him what to print. Or I'll do it all by ordering online and then wait for the pictures, and even little album books to come in the mail.

Obviously, I'm not afraid of the 21st century, or I wouldn't be typing this out on the computer.

I just hope that the digital cameras will be easier to use for middle-aged eyes, and I hope that the batteries will last much longer. My film camera doesn't need constant recharging or new batteries.

Help me out. What do you recommend?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The digital camera will save you tons of money in the long run! Toss that film camera immediately. If you look online at a place like CNET.com, you'll find all sorts of information about digital cameras. Depending on your need, you can figure out how much you want to spend. Some of the less expensive models are excellent.

Batya said...

thanks
any ideas?