Monday, February 06, 2006

I wish I hadn't said "yes"

A few weeks ago my son had this "great idea" and asked me if we could try, in honor of his cousin's upcoming Shabbat visit, baking a "fruit crisp" like her mother makes. Considering that he was going to do it, and he's a great cook, I agreed, though my usual cakes are of the simple "one bowl" variety.

Step one was to google, since I had never made anything like it. I found something that seemed pretty easy and printed off the ingredients and instructions.

We went over them, since reading English isn't his greatest talent.

This is what I printed out (sorry but I didn't save the link):

INGREDIENTS:
5 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup melted butter
1/3 cup water

PREPARATION:Arrange sliced apples in a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. In a bowl, combine the sugars, flour, and oats; stir in melted butter. Spread mixture over the apples. Pour water evenly over top. Bake in a 375° oven for 30 minutes, until apples are tender and top is nicely browned.

Did you notice something? No, so I'll continue.

He really wanted one with cranberry sauce like his aunt makes, but we couldn't find any in our store, so I bought canned strawberries, which he mashed up. Yes, we made changes, besides the usual margarine for butter.

On the sliced apples he put brown sugar. OK, now what did the instructions say? The sugar is for the topping, so we had extra sugar in the fruit. He mixed the strawberry mush with the flour and oats and added more sugar. Not quite like the instructions said.

Yes, this was very sweet and very delicious and very addicting, and since then we made it again, and I find it totallyirresistiblee. And we made it a little differently, with sliced peaches, from a can, on the apples, and liquid from the can instead of water. No extra sugar, but it was sweet, very sweet.

So I guess it's one of those "no fail" recipes. So let's call it: "No Fail Fruit Crumble" or "Diet Killer Crumble"


2 comments:

wendy said...

We love apple crisp, especially with a little vanilla ice cream. The added strawberries sound yummy.

Batya said...

What's your recipe?