Tuesday, February 07, 2006

All in the family...

I was talking to a friend the other day, post-Amona. She's from a large family, siblings all pretty similar religious life-style, dress the same etc. There's one difference. One of them thinks my friend's a bad mother, because her kids go the pro-Eretz Yisrael demonstrations, like staying in Gush Katif to try to prevent Disengagement.

The siblings try to stay away from politics when they're together, which admittedly is pretty tough in Israel.

Of course, my friend's kids were in Amona, and she was in frequent touch, via the cell phone. During one call, she was told that Cousin X was there, too.

"How could that be? I just spoke to my sibling who insists that none of those cousins would ever do something so foolish, dangerous and irresponsible!"

"Do you think I don't know my own cousin, who incidentally, had an arm in a sling?"

So she called her sibling.

"Do you know where X is?"

"In school, of course!"

"Well, I don't know how to tell you this, but my Y just saw X in Amona." She was kind enough not to mention the sling.

"Ridiculous! Impossible! I'm calling X immediately!"

It took X a few days to make contact with parents, most probably due to the threatening messages, or maybe X was waiting until there was no need to wear a sling.

No comments: