Saturday, January 28, 2006

More Mincha sagas

A couple of years ago when I decided to "take on" saying Mincha, the afternoon prayer, daily, I really didn't think about the logistics. Not that I think I would have thought harder or rejected the idea, but I honestly didn't think much about it that day.

It can get complicated finding a spot, where I won't be disturbed, for the few minutes of the prayer. It takes planning so I won't get stuck. Saying T'hilim, Psalms, is much easier, since you can just sit almost any place. To properly doven, one of the three main prayers, Shacharit, Mincha, and Ma'ariv there are parts one should stand, though when there's no choice one can doven in a moving vehicle seated.

In most places I go, it's normal to see people dovening. It's not always easy to find a suitable place, and I've had problems before finding the right spot.

When I was in New York this summer and a couple of weeks ago I ended up dovening in midtown "parks." I'm sure that the city planners who put the benches and chairs in Herald Square and Bryant Park never thought that they would be used for Jewish prayer.

One of the more annoying places is the Jerusalem Central Bus Station, which has a synagogue, but there is no women's section. This week when I was there I needed a siddur in addition to a place to pray. Luckily the book shelves are near the door, and luckily there wasn't anyone dovening in the doorway. I stuck my hand in and grabbed a siddur. Then I found an empty wall, which can be set up with a partition and benches or chairs to be an official Ezrat Nashim. That's where I dovened. Then I stuck my hand back in and returned the siddur.

No comments: