Friday, October 14, 2005

Succot

There's a custom to start the year, post Yom Kippur, with the mitzvah of building a succah. The succah is a "hut," with certain halachik (Jewish Law) restrictions or requirements.

Last night, before I even managed to wash the dishes, I could hear lots of hammering from my neighbors' homes and porches. My son and son-in-law went down to the storage room and dragged up the "succah walls." So they're already up. All that's missing is the special roof and the decorations.

I can't believe they worked so quickly, but that's because my trekking son wants to see others over Shabbat and will only return before the holiday begins.

And I have lots of nice easy decorations, pictures from Jewish calendars, New Years cards and some small posters with depressing pictures of Disengagement. My arts and crafts talents are pretty weak, and at least these things only need thumb tacks.

No comments: