Monday, September 12, 2005

What are you reading?

Or more accurately, what book or books are you reading?
Or, are you reading any books?
Or do you read books?
Or what do you read, besides blogs, of course?

Honestly, especially during the school year, I don't read all that much, when it comes to books. Books, even junky ones, are more for vacations when I have that spare energy, of the visual, academic variety. I usually collect a bunch of "light" books, the kind that keeps me busy and can make me forget to nosh, sort of junk food of the mind. I don't even buy any. People are always happy to give them away, and last year there was a 2nd hand book store in Jerusalem that told people that they could just take from the boxes outside, and I did, and I did again and again. It was perfect timing since I needed books.

I also read the Friday, Jerusalem Post and Newsweek. And some Parshat Shavua, mostly, Torah Tidbits.

And of course I read for work as an EFL, English teacher. How else could I manage to do my job?

But now I'm reading a real book, "Seabiscuit." I love the movie; after taking it out of "Ozen Shlishi," video/movie rental a couple of times, I bought the DVD in New York. Luckily my brother had a spare copy of the book, and he gave it to me. It's quite a story, better than a novel. There are lots more twists and conflicts than they put in the movie.

I'm not going to play tag with this, but if you want to tag yourself, please do and link this to your answer and comment that you've done it, since I don't have trackback.

9 comments:

Moze said...

"The Daughters Victorious" by Rabbi Shlomo Wexler, Geffen Book (2001), about Bnot Tzlafchad. Got this as a gift and nearly didn't start it--I'm totally not the "rebbe book" type. Glad I did--I stayed up two night until 3 am to finish this! (Extremely un-rebbe-ish, and very well documented, too.)

Batya said...

It sounds great. They, Bnot Tzlofchad, were the first "femnists" and got approval from G-d.

Esther said...

moze, great avitar!

muse, I've been reading the same books for a while now cause I never have time to read -- too much blogging! :) I'm reading a book on terrorism that Bibi put together a while ago. For research/fun, I'm also reading a book about Dorothy Kilgallen, who was a panelist on the game show (circa 50s-60s) What's My Line. It airs on the Game Show Network and I love it. The mystery surrounding her death (possibly connected to the JFK murder, which she was checking out via Jack Ruby) is fascinating to me.

Batya said...

Is the Bibi book the one David Bar Ilan did for him?

I remember that show!

wendy said...

How do you play tag? I enjoyed Seabiscuit, I borrowed the book from my mom after watching the movie. I am currently reading The Hound of the Baskervilles with my daughter.

Batya said...

For tag, usually the player announces the ones he/she is tagging by naming them/their links in the post. Then the tagged one links that post to his/her own blog, does the task and tags more. It's like a chain.
This is a fun and harmless task, but I didn't want to burden anyone by tagging them. If you want to play, you mention/link my post and post our entry, welcoming others to join.

wendy said...

Thanks for the info - I have seen that happen, it is cute that it is called playing tag.

Esther said...

I can't even find the book at this moment to check, lol. It's a collection of different opinions on fighting terror, transcribed from speeches by various dignitaries in the late 80s, I think, at a conference.

Batya said...

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the one that the late David Bar Ilan worked on with him. Bibi had great respect for David and asked David to leave his job at the Jerusalem Post to work for him when he was PM.