Friday, September 23, 2005

Seeing Voices

What do we see, when we hear someone's voice on the phone? Can we see a smile? That's what experts say. Trainers for telemarketing always stress the importance of smiling when talking on the phone.

This week I needed a favor from people I don't know. The first person I called spoke in a quiet worried voice. I didn't need to see her face to know that she was frowning, eyes furrowed, forehead wrinkled. In the end, she couldn't help me.

So I made more contacts, and as I persisted in my quest, smiles broadcast on the phone, radiating, brighter and brighter; it was contagious. I felt cheered and optimistic. Finally, the biggest smile was heard, and my goal was accomplished.

All by phone.

I just wonder if that's how the blind read people's moods, since they can't see faces.

Shabbat Shalom

2 comments:

wendy said...

Good advice, I will try smiling!

Batya said...

wonderful