Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Heavy blankets

I wasn't raised sleeping under heavy blankets, down comforters. We didn't have any in our small apartments. They're bulky and need lots of storage space. A few years ago, after much urging from some of my kids, who had gotten used to them in other homes, including their own, I plunked down some money on down. It's amazing how heavy feathers can be.

You know the
joke/question:

What weighs more? A ton of
rocks or a ton of feathers?

They both weigh a ton!

Well, if you've slept under a down comforter in the summer, you'd have no doubt. It seems like just a couple of weeks ago, when I decided that the nice comforting heat of those blankets were disturbing my sleep, so I emptied my summer blanket cover and dumped the ton of feathers up on the unused upper bunkbed in the girls room. Yes, that's where I store them. At this stage, my family doesn't have anyone old or young enough to sleep on an upper bunkbed.

Why is it that the mountain nights start getting chilly just a couple of days after I remove the blanket? At most I had a week of comfortable sleep, when I began to feel the chill. Feeling foolish, I tried a good woolen blanket, but once you get used to down...

So, I'm back to sleeping under that heavy feather comforter. No doubt how it got its name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Note, however, that an ounce of feathers does not weigh the same as an ounce of gold.

Batya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.