Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Coffee

I like coffee. That is with milk and real sugar. There were times when I didn't drink it due the ideology of "good health." I drank all sorts of "substitutes." Honestly, I don't know how healthy all those charred and spiced roots and other potions are. A little bit of the real stuff ground up and stuffed in a filter may actually be a lot healthier. Boiling water drips over it, and the result is "coffee."

Yes, I prefer drinking it with some real sugar. Considering the "sweet substitutes" and the periodic, more like constant news of what horrid chemicals they really are and the nauseating after-taste, and the fact that I don't taste sweetness from them. I can't imagine that real, natural sugar, whether white, brown or tan could be any worse.

Yes, about the milk, my house is one of the only ones I know still buying "whole milk." When I was in the states, I thought I was in "Skimmed America." Here in Israel it's almost as bad. If you're going to eat dairy, a couple of percentages of milk fat is important for health. That's right! No fat is harder to digest, since it activates milk allergy. The milk protein causes all sorts of irritations, but the milk fat doesn't, or at least causes less; it makes it all easier to absorb. And did you know that cholesterol is produced by the human body? If you don't eat enough of it the body will produce it, and when the body produces it, it goes into panic mode and usually produces too much. Whole milk only has a few percent, around 3% or less in Israel, and there's nothing wrong with having 3%. The problem is the cheese, especially the yellow and processed, which have over 20% fat. And it doesn't matter if it's animal fat or vegetable fat, it's still fat.

So, I'd rather have my whole milk and low fat, 5% or under white cheeses and yogurt.

This morning I had my first post-flu coffee, and it was great!

Have a wonderful day.

No comments: