Sunday, August 14, 2005

Tisha B'Av, the 9th of Av, Menachem Av

This is the Fast of the 9th of Av, Menachem--G-d should have mercy on us--Av. And the weather is from hell, sorry, but it's the most accurate word I can think of. It's a raging sauna outside.

The fast began last night, before Shabbat was even over. But Tisha B'Av doesn't sneak upon us slowly. It is the "highlight" of the three week period during which we gradually increase mourning for our Holy Temples, and we yearn for the final one and the coming of the Moshiach, geula, redemption.

I was in the states while this three week period began. It's much harder there, especially when the fasts are on Sundays. I got home in time for the Nine Days of more intensified mourning, from the beginning of the month of Av, known as Menachem Av. Last Shabbat was Rosh Chodesh, the only "head of the month" not celebrated as a minor holiday. I spent Saturday night at jail.

On Wednesday I went to the kotel for a double prayer assembly. And obviously it wasn't enough, just gave me an appetite for more. Tel Aviv was indescribable.

On Shabbat Shiloh celebrated the second Shabbat brit milah in a row, and there also was a Bar Mitzvah, eldest great-grandson of a four generation family. The families had a joint kiddush after the double simcha. Then after barely recovering from the walk in the heat, I walked down again for the memorial shiur for Harel Oz Bin Nun (HaYa"D) by his mother Malka. Harel and Shlomo Libman were murdered while doing security patrols in Yitzhar. After that we, the ladies of Shiloh went to the Mishkan Synagogue for a Women's Prayer. We sat down in the main, read: men's sanctuary with the Aron Kodesh, Holy Ark open.

It's now still Tisha B'Av, and it's hard to fast in this weather. This morning some neighbors and I went to Har Nof, Jerusalem for hear some shiurim at Shearim. It gave us strength and lots to think about.

My friends and I are all weighing the options of what we will do to stop Disengagement, though we know that the final decision is with G-d. It's still up to all of us to try something.

This afternoon, there's a shiur by Dov Berkovits.

It's difficult to fast this year, but I guess G-d, who controls the weather did it on purpose. Life isn't easy.

1 comment:

Esther said...

I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for posting it!