Monday, August 15, 2005

Demonstrators in Search of Demonstration

Yes, I'm embarrassed to say that it does sound rather pathetic, this will be the other side of today's demonstrating against Disengagement.

I think that it was before Shabbat when my neighbor called to ask me to put a notice on the internet about a demonstration that would be Monday next to the Prime Minister's Residence. It seemed like just the right demonstration for me to attend, and of course I publicized it.

Actually I planned my day around it, first went to drop some film off and then went off well equipped with water and food and lots of orange ribbons. There were just a few people there, and most were happy to get some more ribbons. We were wondering where the others were.

We knew that there was another demonstration that had gotten much more publicity. That one involved driving slowly around the Government Office Complex near the Keneset, basically to annoy and call attention to themselves.

There are a couple of reasons that it didn't appeal to me. First is that we're sans car, yup carless. And second is that I don't like to demonstrate in the area of the offices, because nobody really notices or cares. Why pick a hidden place that doesn't have pedestrians? And when there's a demonstration there, traffic is restricted.

But ours was getting smaller and more depressing. So one of the other demonstrators and I went off in a taxi to check out the "competition." We got the driver to drive around the government office complex. We saw people who were dressed like demonstrators, in characteristic orange, sort of wandering. Probably wondering, too, what were they doing, and maybe there was a real demonstration just around the corner.

Our taxi driver seemed to understand our conversation in English and agreed that something must be wrong with Moetzet YESHA, the YESHA Council. He said that considering how horrendous and ridiculous and dangerous Disengagement is and how few people really support it, the council must be pretty "dumb" to have failed to have it cancelled. There's nothing in the world like taxi drivers!

What a shame, if they had come to our corner, it would have looked pretty impressive. Phone calls were made, and a few people did show. Most of us were from my "region," Mateh Binyamin or the Jordan Valley and a few from Jerusalem.

I did my best to stay in the shade of a tree, and luckily I wore a very large hat. It's one I generally don't wear off the yishuv, but today an even bigger one would have been good. I was slathered with sun screen sold for the beach.

After four hours I wished everyone luck and went to get the pictures. Bli neder, they'll be here some time tomorrow, G-d willing. Just keep checking.

I was thinking of going to the pool, but then I remembered that I'm not a member, and it costs, so I'll wait to swim in the morning. And then T'hilim and other plans and lots of laundry.

The "three weeks" are over, but our nation's in trouble. It's embarrassing to be involved in mundane affairs and worries at such a time. There are families being ripped from their homes, and their lives and possessions destroyed. Bodies and bones will be dug from their graves, G-d forbid. Families will mourn again, wounds reopened. This is all by those who think that it's "immoral" to "transfer" Arabs. They have no feelings for Jews. Judenrat and kapos are still at large. We have a long way to go, unfortunately.

2 comments:

Esther said...

Life goes on... no matter how much heartache is happening.

Batya said...

true, very true