Sunday, July 24, 2005

Disengaged

Honestly, I feel a bissel disengaged. I'm presently blogging in Westchester and spent Shabbat here. My sister-in-law and her family and the neighbors I met are all committed jews, strongly tied to Israel, but... I was at their local shul on Shabbat, and even though the Parsha, Torah Portion of the Week was Pinchas, I felt that we were far, too far, from the realitiy of what's going on in Israel.

If you'll excuse the expression. That whole big suburban shul experience was disengaged from the dangers Israel, the Jewish People and the free world are facing today. It's very much like the parsha, what must have been going on in the wilderness, when Moshe was herding the Jewish People the Bnai Yisrael from Egypt to the Promised Land. In the midst of it all, there was major obsenisty with Midian women, thousands (24,000 Jews) were dying from a plague, and until Pinchas did what he did...

Most of the Jews were disengaged from reality.

This is not a call for murder. This is a wake up call! Come on, open your eyes, do something, change the world.

Engage!

There's lots that all of us can do, so please do it. Don't give up.

It's the 17th of Tammuz! Let's make this coming 9th of Av be a celebration, geula shleimah, the full Redemption!!

1 comment:

Esther said...

I used to live in Westchester! I lived in Dobbs Ferry until my apartment building had a huge fire and then I moved to Tarrytown for two years. Say hi to my old haunts. :) As for not being engaged...I can't say I'm shocked, I'm afraid.