Thursday, June 09, 2005

menu planning

I should have some idea of what I'm cooking for Shabbat and Shavuot, since I left stuff to defrost before going to bed. I'm trying to plan things that won't take up too much room in the fridge. And of course, I don't want anything to take up too much time for preparation, so why did I take out the rest of the ground fish for gefilte fish?

Shhh... if you won't tell, it's because I usually forget to prepare it and end up throwing it out when cleaning for Pesach. My husband buys freshly ground fish for Pesach, enough for two batches. In recent years, due to the empty nest syndrome, batch #2 doesn't get done. So I decided to do it for this holiday, Shavuot.

Shavuot is a tough one this year, as it's Sunday night-Monday. Most of the shopping and preparation are done before Shabbat. The fridge isn't very large, but trekker has other plans. So I've been scrounging for guests.

We're also hosting our annual Shavuot shiur, Torah-class, Shavuot afternoon. Our next door neighbor, Rabbi Dov Berkovits is giving it, in English. It's a highlight in our Shiloh calendar. There will be more learning in English as our local rabbi, HaRav Elchanan Bin Nun, will be speaking in English, not his native tongue, at night. The learning will be in memory of Shimon (Sidney) Simmons who passed away suddenly a few months ago and used to organize a full night of learning.

I had better make my way to the kitchen to start preparing the food.

No comments: