Thursday, April 28, 2005

It's still easier here in Israel

Or maybe I should say "anything for money," or "good business judgment," but my Cousin Kenny sent me link to an article about specially designed homes in New York for Orthodox Jews. We take that for granted here, at least in certain parts of the country. I've always enjoyed looking at the creative way many Jerusalem apartment buildings are designed with "merpesot," terraces for succot. They can't have anything hanging over them. In some of the older buildings, there would just about be enough "kosher" space for a couple of heads and plates.

I'm sorry I didn't plan my kitchen with three sinks, which some neighbors did. At least I have a full size sink in the laundry room, in which I put dirty parve pots on Shabbat. I don't know how people manage with just one sink. Yes, I know that it's possible, but I've always had two, and ours are on two different walls.

We take the light out of the refrigerator as soon as we get it, so we won't have to remember every week before Shabbat. Though I was told that the new ones are more complicated.

Big business in catering to Orthodox Jews, large families and growing population.

No comments: