Saturday, February 05, 2005

eating

I was just visiting some of my favorite blogs, from the links in the sidebar. And two of them Willow Green and dotmoms mentioned kids' eating habits. I commented, sounding like Atilla the Hun pretending to be a mother. Or probably worse.

I know that it's not fashionable, but I really think that we shouldn't force our kids to eat. None of us should feel forced to eat, just to make the cook happy, or just to be sociable or any reason other than hunger and that the food seems right.

Too many of us overweight adults were prize-winning members of the "clean plate club."

The kids should have a bit of choice as part of a meal, just like everyone, but nobody should be forced to eat everything. From the time my kids were very young, I let them serve themselves. There was one rule. Only take as much as you'll eat.

Studies have shown that people, and that includes young kids, avoid allergens, or they stuff themselves with allergens. Confusing, isn't it?

Also too much choice tempts one to eat too much. So simplify and relax.

Shavua Tov

1 comment:

Moze said...

You're absolutely right. Too much choice and we either gorge or freeze, unable to decide. My mother used to make mega-meals, my MIL one choice only. DH and I both constantly have to watch our weight. At chez Moze there are two choices for any Shabbat meal: meat/chicken or fish/cheese. There's always salad for those who opt out of one or the other. None of my kids, thank G-d, have weight problems.

Another rule around the house is that the first time a totally new food (usually a fruit or veg) is introduced, you must take 1 bite. No more. If you like it, dig in, but if you don't, leave it for those who did like it. But never, ever say you don't like something you've never tried in any form. (The chicken haters are allowed to opt out of new chicken dishes, for example, but everyone had to try the desert apples on Rosh Hashana.)