Saturday, October 02, 2004

fitness

oy
fitness
if only

if only I was half as fit
as people think
I am

though
they see
my fat
and age

they interpret
my very
occasional strolls

as
as something more

oy
I have a reputation
hard
very hard to live up to

people think
that my
very occasional
dips
in the pool
make me
a great athlete

if only
oy
if only

I were half

if only
oy
if only

I were a tenth, a hundredth

as fit as people think

on Tuesday's the march
we're marching on Jerusalem

a marathon distance
from here
to there

I'll march
partially, but
fully covered

skin cancer takes the fun
out of the sun

long-sleeved blouse
long skirt
big hat

HIDE ME FROM THE SUN!

forbidden hours
during the forbidden hours
I'll ride,
or hide

then
with dusk
re-emerge

to march
safely
to Jerusalem

if I'm fit



No comments: