Monday, September 28, 2015

Confession: I Did Not Decorate The Succah!

This year, I had even less to do with the succah, that traditional Jewish "hut" of sorts that is supposed to become our "home," or at least the dining room during the Jewish Holiday of Succot, which is exactly two weeks after Rosh Hashanah begins and half a week after Yom Kippur. It's a holiday that ends with a "whimper" in a way, because although there is close to a week of Chol Hamoed, which is a quasi-holiday time, there's no end of Holiday HolyDay, like for Passover. A week after Succot begins is Simchat Torah, which is a different holiday and does not require a succah. I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

When we had our house built we planned it with a nice merpeset, balcony/terrace for the succah, so it's not all that complicated to assemble. It was always my husband's job, and when the boys got older, they helped a lot. But now they aren't home. They have lives of their own, so my husband is back being completely responsible for it, but I am supposed to decorate it. But I did not have time. I was at work yesterday and barely had time to finish the cooking when I got home, and I also scrubbed the succah floor which was dirtier than ever before, since we had suffered from that dust storm that had lasted for a couple of weeks.

As you can see, we have lots of succah decorations we've collected over the years. It's just a matter of taking thumbtacks and tacking them up, but I couldn't. We were expecting guests who needed to eat.

The succah did get decorated. Guess who did it!



Yes, that's my husband!

No comments: