Thursday, August 21, 2014

Great Salad Deal in Jerusalem

The one important menu item missing in the ns5, aka five shekel places is a simple, healthy raw salad. You can always get small sandwich, piece of cake, some coffee or even carrot juice, but no salad. A couple of weeks ago, when I really desperately needed to find a quick, easy inexpensive lunch in downtown Jerusalem before rushing to work, I walked into the Cafe Neeman, on the corner of Jaffa Street and King George.

For some people, it's the site of Sabarro and  that terrible terrorist attack with multiple fatalities. I remember it as the old Weill Shoe Store where I purchased many pairs of shoes, especially in the months the old man was closing the store.

Now it's a branch of that very large chain of what once was more a bakery, but now it's also a dairy restaurant. I saw that they had ready prepared salads in two sizes, large and small. Both were good prices. The large was less than ns30 and included a roll. I don't remember the exact price. And the smaller one was only ns10. I got the small one and figured if I was still hungry I'd pick up something at work from Rami Levy.


As small as it was, it was satisfying. Yes, I took the Tuna Salad. It also had a hard-boiled egg.

With a salad so small, there's no temptation to overeat. It was fresh and delicious. I presume, but didn't check, that you can get the same sort of salad in other branches of the chain.

2 comments:

Ester said...

This post has been included in the Elul "Kosher Cooking Carnival"
Please come check it out at http://www.kosherfrugal.com/2014/08/kcc-kosher-cooking-carnival-for-elul.html

Thanks for helping spread the word!

Batya said...

Thank you Ester