Friday, March 21, 2014

A Doable Diet, The Life-Transforming Diet, Based on Maimonides

I've been reading diet books for over half a century.  My mother got me the Pat Boone one, Twixt Twelve and Twenty when I was barely a teenager. My kitchen book shelf is full of diet and health books, but to tell you the truth, none of them promote a diet one can really live on forever.

Over the years I've heard that our great sage Moshe Maimonides included eating and health suggestions among the books and article about Judaism.  So I was extremely happy to be offered The Life-Transforming Diet, Based on Health and Psychological Principles of Maimonides by David J. Zulberg to review.

Zulberg's book is one of the wisest and most practical diet books/guides I've ever seen. It's actually doable and realistic. Unlike most diets which start with extreme changes and then gradually get to what they consider the way one should eat to keep the weight off, Zulberg follows modern coaching guidelines and promotes small slow changes to one's routine.
Experience an inner and outer transformationwith David Zulberg's The Life-Transforming Diet. This simple, practical and anything-but-boring program is more than merely a diet. It is a lifestyle that you can live with, because you are empowered to choose what to eat - and when to eat it. Based on the wisdom of Maimonides (Rambam), one of the greatest Jewish sages who ever lived and the outstanding doctor of his time, the Life-Transforming Diet will give you the tools for optimum emotional and physical health, a more spiritual outlook and sustainable weight loss, no matter what your age, gender or occupation. 
The Life-Transforming Diet offers you: - gradual, step-by-step implementation of a new approach to eating: you don't go cold turkey 
- theoretical and practical information, including insights into how we form bad habits and tips for laying the foundation for new, better ones 
- a simple, quick and well-rounded exercise program that doesn't require a financial commitment
- a do-it-yourself support system that takes only a few minutes a day 
- advice for Shabbos and other dieting challenges 
- an intelligent and realistic maintenance program 
As many people know, a few years ago I lost 15 kilo, just over thirty pounds (30lbs,) and I've kept it off. There are many similarities between The Life-Transforming Diet and my new way of eating. Zulberg has his terminology for the types of meals on the diet.  Once I figured out what he means by them, I realized that I've been eating that way, and it works.

I agree with Zulberg that walking is a fantastic exercise for most people and will facilitate fitness and weight loss.  As a former dancer, exercise and Physical Education Teacher, I would just suggest getting personal professional advice about what exercises suit you rather than doing the more strenuous exercise routine he suggests. It's not suitable for many people. Also, taking into account that in the time of Maimonides, The Rambam, about nine hundred 900 years ago,  fat removal from milk meant skimming the fat off of the top of the raw milk after it sat a bit, which resulted in a "fat free" milk of at least 1-2% fat, I don't think that the Rambam would recommend the highly industrialized modern 0% dairy products of today. That's just one of my pet peeves, which you can take or leave as you wish.

On the whole I consider Zulberg's book to be excellent and highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Lorri M. said...

I thought the book was excellent, also.

Batya said...

Yes, apparently he runs quite a diet business.