Friday, December 20, 2013

It's Official, The OU Has Declared Quinoa Non-Kitniyot Kosher for Passover

recipe
For those Ashkenazi Jews like yours truly, the American OU is still my "expert rabbinic" source for certain decisions.  So, I'm glad that they have finally declared that quinoa isn't kitniyot, lentils.
Following extensive research and on-site investigation of cross-contamination issues by OU Kosher personnel at all quinoa growing areas including: Puno, Cuzco, Arequipa, Ayacucho, Junin and Chiclayo in Peru; and Alto la Paz and Chayapata in Bolivia; as well as the collection, washing and milling stations of quinoa, OU Kosher is pleased to announce that, for the first time, it is recommending quinoa for Passover, when processed with special OU Passover supervision and bearing the OU-P symbol.
In addition to quinoa, OU Kosher has concluded that related canihua, kiwicha and maca seeds processed under supervised conditions may also be approved for Passover (OU-P).” 
It's not one of our staples and I actually stay away from rice.  I personally eat the same during Passover and the rest of the year, barring the bread, matzah instead of challah, on Shabbat and holidays. The only difference is the oil.  On Passover I only use olive oil, even for cooking.  That's because I'm on a low carbohydrate diet.  It works for me.

Considering that the whole kitniyot issue is based on minhag, custom, I pray that it will soon be deleted, cancelled eradicated by the coming of the Mashiach bimhaira biyamainu, the Messaiah quickly in our days, G-d willing.  We must be one nation without ethnic barriers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The author says she "dread"s that this ruling will be cancelled by the coming of Moshiach.
I would prefer to use the word "hope."
Soon in our days.

Batya said...

Yes, you're right. I wonder why I wrote it. I'll change the word and ending a bit. Thanks