Saturday, September 07, 2013

Rosh Hashannah Food! For A Healthy Year part 1

pre-Rosh Hashannah
post-Rosh Hashanah
As most of you may already know, we don't do the animal or fish head thing on Rosh Hashanah.  I (or one of the kids if they're around) decorate a fruit so not only will we be "a head and not a tail," we should also be healthy.  And this guy's mouth got smaller and smaller as the three day "yonitff" marathon dragged into Shabbat, so I told our Friday guests that it symbolizes lessening of lashon haraa, evil speech.  Now his mouth is barely visible, which has its problems. I didn't know that yams had so much water in them...

Here are a few of the vegetables I made for Rosh Hashannah.

This is a version of "musakka." Instead of using ground meat, I used sliced turkey breasts, usually used for making schnitzels. 


I layered the onions, eggplant, turkey, squash and pepper.  On top I put some canned crushed tomatoes and baked it all in a hot oven.  Our two guests, plus my husband and I polished the entire dish off.  In addition, I served two different raw salads, rice and cooked vegetables.  So it must have been good.

Here's this year's tsimmis, just before the water was added.

cooked tsimmis
I combined  prunes, raisins, cinnamon sticks, carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, ginger and brown sugar.  Just boil it up, simple as anything can be.

No comments: