Friday, August 16, 2013

"Sheva Brachot," The "Post-Wedding Party"

Traditional and Torah observant newly married Jews don't just rush off on a honeymoon a few hours after the wedding.  The custom is to attend a series of festive meals, during which the Sheva Brachot, Seven Wedding Blessings are recited.  We hosted a large one in Shiloh for our newly married son and his wife.


one challah from a neighbor
and the other from
Herby's Bakery,
Beit El
It was in the nearby shul hall and catered by a neighbor.  The wedding was small by Israeli standards, so I used this Sheva Brachot as my opportunity to invite lots of neighbors.

Most people were very happy not to have had to travel far. 

And there were also guests from Jerusalem and other yishuvim.



 
 

5 comments:

goyisherebbe said...

Mazal tov. Having a small wedding and a large sheva brachot is a nice idea. Where was the wedding?

YMedad said...

My D'var Torah (in Hebrew) here

Batya said...

goyish, the wedding was in Ness Harim, some lovely restaurant.
Wink, I'll put the video on youtube

sheldan said...

Batya,

I had to comment when I saw that some of the challah was from Herby's Bakery. Herby is my cousin and his bakery started when he was a student at the University of Tennessee. He continued baking at his parents' home in Memphis and eventually took over a bakery there (interestingly enough, the bakery was on Bethel Avenue). He made aliyah years later and we hear from Herby, Debbie, and the rest of the family about his life in Israel.

Thanks for making my day.

Sheldon Dan

Batya said...

Sheldon, Debbie and Herby are good friends. I've known Debbie since our teens in NCSY.