Tuesday, February 28, 2012

As The Car Slowly Reversed in My Direction, I Wondered if...

Most of you just can't imagine what it's like to travel the way I do, "tremping," hitchhiking.  We don't have a car, and I do take buses when they come going in my direction, but there are times when the quickest and safest way is to trust G-d's siyata d'Shmaya, Power/Hand of G-d Transportation System.  That's what tremping actually is. 

Of course, I have to beware and not invite trouble.  The staff at Rami Levi is very helpful when it comes to finding me a ride after night shift.  One of the managers freaks out at the thought of us being "stranded" in Sha'ar Binyamin.  He tries to get us on our way, to either the Ma'avar Michmas gas station or to Ofra, as quickly as possible, so he can consider his job done.  I appreciate it.

The other night I had a ride to Ofra and waited at the corner on the main road.  I wait there, because the guard just inside the entrance can see me.  I wasn't waiting all that long when a car passed by going north, then stopped, then slowly reversed.  It didn't go as far as to when I was standing, and according to my safety norm, I didn't want to go too far from the corner.  I waited and wondered and waited, it could have been a neighbor or a terrorist, until...

Suddenly the door of the car opened, and a women stuck her head out and turned in my direction:

"What are you doing?  Come here quickly already!"

It was a neighbor, and they took me home, safe and sound, thank G-d!

2 comments:

Baleboosteh said...

It must be very difficult, not knowing who you can trust and who you cannot. Be safe!

Batya said...

darling, the hardest is the waiting, never knowing when and who will come