Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Celebrating More than Simchat Torah

Ruti Mizrachi posted a wonderful photo-essay showing great scenes from their 4 plus years in Israel.  We're in Israeli ten times as long, which means that we're here longer than some of my readers are alive.  and talking about "alive," I thank G-d for saving me from danger.  I survived an Arab terror attack over fifteen years ago

We're only alive, because G-d wants us to be.  During the days we're given, we should try to fill them with as many mitzvot as we can.  The woman murdered in my terror attack had been sick with cancer.  She had just visited a mikubal rabbi who told her that she "wouldn't suffer."  She then called family in great relief, and a very short time later she was dead, murdered.  Sorry, I had been planning an upbeat post, but with all the Gilad Shalit circus going on and the release/pardon of  1,027 convicted Arab terrorists, my mind is having trouble focusing on joy.

In a few hours, we'll be ushering in the final Jewish Holiday in our hectic fall schedule, Simchat Torah.  In Israel we have a twenty-three hour break between Simchat Torah and Shabbat in order to catch our breaths and top-up the shopping, cleaning, cooking etc.  In chutz l'Aretz, out of the HolyLand, there's another three day holiday marathon, 2 days Holiday + 1 day Shabbat.  I'm sure that Hadassa isn't the only one just burnt-out from all the shopping, cooking preparations etc.

I'm glad that I spent one of my days off a few weeks ago to cook up a storm of chicken, musaka, meatballs etc.  They were frozen immediately, so all I have to do is choose what to thaw and make the side dishes, like my extra delicious, easy to make fancy vegetables.

OK, I've wasted spent enough time blogging.  There's still lots of work to be done before candle-lighting this afternoon before the sun begins to set.

Chag Sameach!

No comments: