Thursday, November 19, 2009

Playing Cards With "Grandpa"

All the bedrooms were full last night. Two of my kids, the oldest and youngest, are over for a visit with their grandpa.  Having my father living with us has brought my kids home for more visits than ever, at least since the nest emptied.

I'm doing more cooking and cleaning than I've done for years. That's my "job" now.

According to family legend, my grandfather, my father's father, was a great and dedicated card player. That was his "hobby."  And my father was a good student, mentored by the best.  So, the legend also says that my father played cards in the U.S. Navy on the ships, and a lot of people owed him money.  He was transferred off the USS Indianapolis right before it was torpedoed.

Last night the kids tried to get him to teach them poker tricks/skills, but that seemed beyond his present abilities.  Then they tried Blackjack and discovered that he could still play that like a pro.  He had qualified and worked as a CPA for decades and can still calculate sums, at least well enough for the game.  As he played, he seemed sharper and more alert.  They played for money; something I had never done.  I used to just play for fun.

It's amazing what can stimulate the aged.

2 comments:

Lars Shalom said...

sweet

Kaye Swain said...

Sounds like he and my dad had a lot in common. :)