Saturday, October 24, 2009

Lucky Turn, Found The Perfect Restaurant


It must have been a day after I landed in New York, when I was still terribly jetlagged.  I was with my father and daughter visiting my mother in the hospital when I realized that I needed to get out and get a good meal.

That's not always easy.  I wasn't in Jerusalem.

I marched ok staggered out of North Shore Rehab and sort of sensed my way to Community Drive.  I asked people where to find a bus stop, and as I approached, I realized that I had just missed a bus.  So I sat and waited.

Finally the bus came.  I asked how much it cost and began searching for money.  No good.  I needed exact change in coins.  Found enough, paid, sat down and went off to the Great Neck Station.

I decided to "trust luck."  Let's see if G-d would show me a kosher restaurant.  I crossed streets according to whichever light turned green first.


On Middleneck Road, past the deli which I understand isn't really kosher,  I saw a restaurant with a letter in the window.  Curious, I stopped to read.  It said that the restaurant was kosher, Cafe Kriza.  I was hungry, thirsty, tired, jetlagged and it looked good enough for me.

The menu was very familiar, like a lot of Israeli restaurants.  I ordered salmon, salad and vegetables.  I also told the guy in charge that I was pretty dehydrated and needed to drink lots of water.


While I was waiting for the food to be prepared, I said my daily T'hillim, Psalms and also the Mincha, afternoon Prayer.

Then I enjoyed the food, just perfect.  No complaints.  Service was great, too.  I treated myself to a cup of coffee to help me get through the end of the day.


After that to the supermarket for more shopping.  And then I walked to my parents' house.  Quite a walk, but I needed it.

No comments: