Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Game of Life, G-d is Good

Last week was one of those extraordinary examples of how G-d is behind the game board. Life is like one of those games. Depending on which decision you make, a whole new set of possibilities opens up, and we really don't know at first what the smallest decision or change in plans may bring. I'm still trying to figure out and remember all that happened last week...

Early in the week, while waiting for a ride out of Shiloh, I mentioned to a friend that we ought to visit a very sick neighbor on our day off. She agreed, and we made plans to meet on Wednesday after my weekly "swim."

In the evening I got a call from someone who had invited us to her daughter's upcoming Bat Mitzvah. She wanted to make sure we'd be there. It was for Friday morning, and since I no longer tutor, and my married daughter and family weren't coming for Shabbat, I told her I'd be there.

Wednesday morning, my day off, I felt an urge to rush down to the bus/tremp stop, even though I had waited a very long time for rides to Jerusalem on previous weeks. After a few minutes a car came, and as I was getting in, I heard another honking, and the driver was trying to tell me something. I got out and discovered that she was off to the pool. While we were traveling I mentioned my plans to visit the sick neighbor, and she said that she wanted to go, too. When we got there, we were told that the neighbor had been taken to the hospital. I understand that if you innocently give tzedaka, charity, to a con man, it's still counted as a mitzvah, good deed. So is a visit to a sick person, who was transferred to the hospital also counted as a mitzvah?

The next day, Thursday, on the way to work, it began hailing, snowing, raining--all at once. Between Ofra and the T-junction to Beit El, the driver lost control of the car, and we kept spinning and spinning and spinning, until we crashed into the guard rail. Baruch Hashem, thank G-d, we weren't injured, though the car was slightly damaged.

Friday, I was determined to get to that Bat Mitzvah. Since I don't get to Jerusalem all that often, it seemed a good idea to do at least one other errand. My mother had asked me to get her a new batch of medications, which are less expensive here than in New York, and someone going for Pesach offered to bring them.

No great surprise, when I checked the bus schedule I discovered that one bus would get me to Jerusalem too early, and the other one would be too late, so I had to "tremp." "Tremping" is hitchhiking, which I do very frequently to a from Shiloh, since no only aren't there enough buses, but there aren't the routes I need. I waited in Shiloh for a ride out, in the direction of Jerusalem.

After quite a while, I got a ride to Ofra, one-third of the way I needed. There I waited some more with just a few people, a mother and her son and two young women, one who is blind. Eventually, a large, family-size van pulled up with enough room for all of us. The mother asked for bus directions to Talpiyot, which I gave. I explained that I'd also be changing buses to go there, so I'd show her the route.

When we were getting off in Jerusalem, the young woman helping the blind one asked if we could assist her friend to the bus she needed. It was the first time I had ever guided a blind person. We had to cross some streets, and imagine my horror when I looked up at the traffic lights and discovered that they weren't working!! Generally, when the lights are out, traffic is totally snarled and blocked, and it's bad news for pedestrians. Miraculously, we succeeded in crossing the streets quickly and easily. All the while, I kept telling the young woman how amazing it was. Honestly, she was amazing, walked quickly and confidently. Her bus came, and I helped her onto the bus; she was on her way. In Israel, people are very helpful, and she wasn't worried about traveling alone.

While waiting, the mother and I talked, as people do. You guessed it. Didn't you? We discovered that we were going to the same Bat Mitzvah! So we decided to share a cab back to the "trempiada," bus stop in order to catch a bus or ride back home. We just couldn't get over the coincidence.

Conveniently the Orah Pharmacy is on the bus route to the Bat Mitzvah and considering that every time I buy my mother's medications, I have have to return for more, since there is never enough in stock. As expected, I was told to pick up some of the order next week. The pharmacist said:
"You'll pay for it all now, since it has to be on today's bill. Today is the last day the prescription is valid. It expires tomorrow!"

I couldn't believe it. If the Bat Mitzvah girl's mother hadn't called, and I hadn't decided to attend, I would have discovered too late that I couldn't buy the medications for my mother. And my mother isn't in New York right now near her doctors, so she couldn't have gotten new ones to fax to the pharmacy, which is taking for granted that they would accept the faxes!

Hodu l'Hashem ki Tov
Thank G-d for He is Good!

Chodesh Nissan Tov
Have a good month!
It's the Jewish month of Nissan this week, the month of miracles!

May this be l'ilui nishmata shel Chasida Rut bat Avraham 'Sarah and for a refuah shleimah l'Gnaidel Malka bat Michleh.

No comments: