Tuesday, June 14, 2005

healthcare

I've been in Israel since 1970, and honestly, I think we have an easier life here, especially in a yishuv like Shiloh. Kids have more independence from a younger age. It's much more like my childhood in idyllic Bell Park Gardens, Bayside, NY in the 1950's.

One of the major differences between Israel and the USA is healthcare. In Israel there are a variety of programs and "sick funds," as their called, and even a very part-time worker or those not employed are covered. There are special "well baby clinics" called "Tipat Chalav," a drop of milk. Every child is covered and gets develpmental tests, vaccines, etc. When my kids were little, I think I paid a symbolic fee after they were born.

Whenever I read something like this NY Times article, http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/13/opinion/13krugman.html?th&emc=th I'm reminded again, how lucky I am. And it also reminds me to make sure that before I go to the states this summer (returning with a Nefesh B'Nefesh flight), I sign up for the special travel insurance through my sick fund!

No comments: